lynda l.: an interview

I started again doing interviews, I like it and I think that you appreciate the answers I receive.
The interview of today is to Lynda by Littleoddforest a lovely handmade shop full of goods inspired by forest and fairytales, I love it!

Do we want to start? Yessss!

Me. Who are you? A little introduction of you:
Lynda. Hello! I'm Lynda Lye, founder, designer, & maker of my own label littleoddforest, and I live in a tiny warm humid dot of a country, Singapore.

Me.
How did you discover that you have creative tendencies?
Lynda. According to my family, I have been drawing and doodling and cutting since I know how to use my hands, like since 2-3 years old. My dad has kept all the little people cut-outs I made when I was 3-4 years old.

Me. What sparked your interest in sewing creating stuff like the one we can find in your shop? Did you attended to any school?
Lynda. I learnt how to use the sewing machine in Secondary 1 (junior high) when all the girls had to go for Home Economics classes. It was then pointed out to me that I was pretty good at sewing perfect straight lines and round circles. But that was that, since I was in the Science stream. I hand-make gifts for my friends every now and then, as a teenager, like zipper pouches, felt cards, and so on. I wasn't as fortunate as most other designers/crafters/artists, who got to dabble in what they love at an early age. Art and Asian family does not go hand in hand that well that often. It wasn't until many years later, when I went to art college in Chicago, and took a Fashion Accessories class, that I decided that I love making things with the sewing machine, and hand crafting little things, more than anything else.

Me.
Where do you find your inspiration?
Lynda. Really from anywhere and everywhere. I don't purposely seek out inspiration, instead, just by going out and about would just do it - people-watching, films, books, stories, music, nature, playing with my cats, my strange dreams, etc. Although I'm generally attracted to colors, and all things unusual, kooky, quirky, cute, and forest-themed.Me. ps: I love the forest theme too!

Me.
Tell me a little bit about the process of researching inspirations for your creations, where do the ideas come from?
Lynda. Honestly, I don't do any actual research at all. Everything we come across everyday is recorded subconsciously in our minds. From reading, books, what i see on the streets, what I listen to etc. I love all design books, children's books, and going out to see the world. I doodle and sketch alot. And I like referring to my older drawings - I see a different thing from the same sketch each time.

Me.
Are a full time crafter? Walk us through your typical workday.
Lynda. Yes I am! Mornings from 8-9am are usually for sending out order packages, replying urgent emails.. and then everything else that follows thereafter (usually by 12noon) is free-flow, according to what needs to be done, or what I feel like doing that day. Like taking product photos, listing new items, drawing new designs, sewing up prototypes etc. We usually pack orders during late afternoons. And then knock off for late dinner. And depending on my schedule, I can go right back to work late in the night and wee morning hours till as late as 3-4am.

Me.
How do you decided to open a webshop? And how do you choose to create a new product instead of another?
Lynda. When I first started out, there weren't many (if any at all) crafters in Singapore. It was the entire really awesome crafting community online, from the US, that helped me get through my earlier struggling times, which was why I decided to start out online, since 99% of people who understood, appreciated and supported what I did came from outside of my own country. Also, I don't need to pay rent for a physical shop, and it allows me total control over my time management. I crave flexibility, and having a physical store simply doesn't allow much of that.
I make what I like! And then I make more of what people like to buy from me, like my bags and home decor items etc.

Me.
Do you manage yourself the whole process? Since the concept to the pictures?
Lynda. Yes. Everything single thing.

Me.
What are your plans for future? How do you see it years from now?
Lynda. For these 2 years, it would be expanding my range of small accessories, work more on my plush toys, maybe start a stationary line, hookup with more retailers, and participate in at least 1 craft fair overseas. The possibilities are endless.

Me.
Which are your favorite crafters by the moment? And which blogger?
Lynda. I don't have any favorites of anything, except for food. LOL. whenever I stumble upon a design/style I love, I just buy it! some of whom i like are Heidi of mypapercrane and Xin of doinkydoodles. I also don't keep track of names of anything, if i see/hear something i like, i like it for i saw/read/the way it looks etc. Not because of who made it or who wrote it. I'm a really lousy blog follower too, because i try not to be online unless i'm doing something work-related. So, just a few of what i like are bleubirdvintage, pikaland and designismine.blogspot
Me. Well about blogs you listed 3 of my favourite too!

Me. Which are your favourite website?
Lynda. Again, no particular favorites, because I don't browse online that much at all. But I do love apartmenttherapy and blog.drawn.ca

Me.
Any closing comments?
Lynda. Thank YOU for supporting us!I have to say that I really liked that interview! Lynda is so cute and nice...

ps: you can find Littleoddforest on Facebook and Flickr.
.

Labels: ,